Monday, December 29, 2008

So long Sunny, We hardly knew ye....

Well, it was bound to happen. Sunny has passed on the the other side. She was good to me, and I tried to be good to her. But in the end, her heart just ground to a halt.

My 1997 Pontiac Sunfire is dead.

Just 459 miles short of 150,000, she crapped out on me Friday the 19th. Left me stranded on the side of 285, underneath the overpass that planes heading for Hartsfield land on. I had been to the Hawks game that night with a couple of my Brotha's, Money and Squash Nice. Not wanting to over-burden her, I only drove as far as the College Park Marta Station and took the train to Philips. After the game, I found Sunny just as I had left her, under the street light. But she was acting up. Making all kinds of racket.

"Please Darlin', just get me home. I'll take care you tomorrow, I promise."

I needed to get gas gas, and as I'm turning into the Exxon, she dies. I coast to the pump, pop the hood, and add some oil. I fill the tank, and she starts back up. I should have stayed in that lot, and had someone come get me then. But noooooo.

"She's always taken care of me before, she'll get me home again."

But it was not to be. I made it maybe 2 miles before a loud "POP" and all loss of engine power. I coasted to a stop under the runway. As I popped the hood, I knew she was gone. The 2 inch hole in her block gave it away. The piston stuck out like an arrow to the heart. She was gone.

She will live on though. She was an organ donor, so maybe a small piece of her can keep another Sunfire alive and well.

Goodbye Sunny. Enjoy the open roads of the great Interstate in the sky.

No comments: